About Kent State History
The History of an Ohio University
Since its founding as a teacher-training school in 1910, Kent State has become an engine for economic, cultural and workforce development in the region and beyond as a premiere university in Ohio. This Ohio university has also earned acclaim for applying new knowledge to address the needs of the communities it serves and society as a whole through a vast array of continuing education courses and much more. To learn more about the university's history and what makes it one of the best colleges in Ohio, explore the links below.
A History of Kent State University
Read about the history of Kent State University, written by William H. Hilldebrand, professor emeritus of English, from the beginnings of the Kent State Normal School through nearly a century of university pride.
Fast forward or rewind to the milestone of graduation by visiting this web page, where you'll find links to academic regalia, the alma mater and the mace. Also access the Kent Stage fight song, victory march and hymn.
Former University Presidents
Want to find out more about Kent State's past presidents? Here you can find a listing of former Kent State presidents along with links to biographical and other information about them.
May 4, 1970
Access Kent State's May 4, 1970 hub, which is dedicated to providing access to information related to the events of May 4, 1970, in which four Kent State students were killed and nine wounded by Ohio National Guardsmen.
The Kent State University School
to find classmates of the former K-12 school, located for many years on the Kent Campus.
offers a concise summary of major milestones in the history of Kent State University, one of the most memorable Ohio colleges.
- Centennial Celebration – 2010
The university celebrated its 100th year throughout the year of 2010, which included burying a time capsule on Risman Plaza near the Kent Student Center Kiva.
The original Victory Bell, located on the Kent State University Commons near Taylor Hall, has stood as a symbol of Kent State pride since the early 1950s. It was erected to unify the student body with the help of Kent State’s Alpha Phi Omega chapter. The fraternity also built a second, mobile bell deemed “Victory Bell II” a few years later to take the tradition off campus. Both the original Victory Bell and its second iteration were primarily rung after an athletic win.
明升体育-足球比分网After years of silence from the tradition, the Kent State Department of Intercollegiate Athletics was approached by Kent State alumni Buzz, ’67, and Marilyn, ’71, Starner to reintroduce a victory bell. Promoting and supporting Kent State traditions was a top priority for the Starners, who have both been active supporters of Kent State Athletics for more than 30 years.
The new victory bell was manufactured by Meneely Bell Foundry in 1915 and previously occupied a church tower. The Starner Victory Bell was dedicated Oct. 15, 2011, at the Homecoming football game against Miami University and rang with victory for the first time on Oct. 21, 2011, by the women’s soccer team (Kent State 2, Akron 0). The 300-pound bell makes its way to and from the majority of Kent State Athletics’ home contests and is rung when a university team is victorious. The honor of who rings the bell after a win is determined by each team. In May 2016, the tradition of ringing the Victory Bell was introduced at Commencement. Graduates ring the bell throughout the day to signify the victory of completing their degree.